Tips on How to Keep Weight Off

A woman walking down a path, with the words, how to keep weight off.

It can often be quite difficult to keep those pesky pounds off. Everything seems to be going well for a while, and then all of a sudden you hit a wall and the pounds start sneaking back. While you’re likely doing everything right to shave the pounds off, here are five helpful tips on how to keep the weight off:

1. Change Your Mindset

When most people think of losing weight, they think of engaging in one of the newest diet trends, such as Keto or the Carnivore diet. While these dieting plans may work and bring about quick results, they are not meant to be continued in the long term. According to a study published by the National Institutes of Health, only 20% of dieters who start off overweight are able to successfully keep the weight off in the long-term; the other 80% end up eventually gaining the weight back – or even gaining more.

Short-term dieting does not work because it does nothing to change the lifestyle habits that lead to weight gain. Restrictive diets and unsustainable habits result in a feeling of being burnt out or bored, which causes dieters to become discouraged and give up. Instead of focusing solely on the pounds, the people who are generally successful at losing weight focus more on making healthier decisions than following strict diets.

2. Balance Your Diet

When it comes to eating a balanced meal, one of the key components is protein. It requires more energy for your body to burn off protein than carbs or sugar, so protein keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Protein also promotes muscle growth and gives you a better metabolism. For these reasons, adding more protein to your diet is a great way of keeping the extra pounds from coming back.

Another simple change you can make to your eating habits is cutting back on carbs. Refined carbs – such as white bread and pasta – are stripped of their natural fibers, thus causing you to feel hungrier sooner. That feeling of hunger can result in you snacking more, which is detrimental for someone trying to keep away the pounds. Cutting them out completely is not necessary; just cut back and eat them occasionally, and put more fruits and vegetables in their place.

3. Exercise Regularly

Your body was built to move and work, and giving it at least thirty minutes of exercise a day will aid in keeping the weight off. Exercising allows your body to burn off any extra calories it doesn’t need, which will prevent it from storing those calories as fat for later use. A regular exercise routine also promotes a stronger and faster metabolism, since it forces your body to use more energy.

For the best results, try to plan for your exercise routine to be in the morning. If you exercise before you eat breakfast, this will allow your body to run off of fat instead of calories, and jumpstart your metabolism. This leads to more efficient weight loss.

4. Stick to Your Routine

Every once in a while, you will want to have a cheat day where you skip a day of exercise or you eat that extra slice of cake. Having a skip day every once in a blue moon is fine, but making it part of your routine will halt any weight loss progression and cause you to start gaining the weight back. Your lifestyle changes have to be consistent, as any break to them can reintroduce you to bad habits.

It is highly likely that you will end up breaking your routine every once in a while; don’t be too hard on yourself if this happens. Remember, change takes time and it isn’t a race.

5. Stay Hydrated

One of the most important weight loss and weight maintenance techniques is as simple as drinking water every day. Ensuring that your body gets its proper water requirement every day will help your body stay fuller for longer, promote healthy skin, and keep your metabolism running strong. Eight glasses a day helps keep the weight away.

When it comes to keeping the weight off, it’s important to make sure that you have the right gym and personal trainers. At Texas FITT, we have a variety of programs, exercise equipment, and personal trainers to help you find an exercise routine that works best for you. Don’t let the extra pounds continue to haunt you; contact Texas FITT today!